Thursday 14 January 2010

What will make you Shine in 2010?

So, I originally set up this blog with the intention of sharing the stories of our fundraising committee... but never got around to doing anything about it! Having been recently asked to write a blog post I thought I'd test it out here first :-)

What will make you Shine in 2010?   A great question….


For those who have already heard of the new Cancer Research UK walking marathon, that question might make some divert your eyes to the floor, skip past the tweet or ignore the facebook post depending on how you were asked the question!  Others, with slightly broader minds, might realise that, yes, the question relates to a fundraising idea, but your answer can be anything that might make you Shine…. A new job, an exciting holiday, jumping out of a plane, getting married…. You get the idea.

What will make me Shine in 2010 is solely related to fundraising - because it’s what I do!

I first did the Race for Life, for Cancer Research UK, in 2006 with my best friend Sarah. We just did it for a bit of fun really, and to raise money of course! We ran the whole way in 35 minutes but felt slightly deflated at the finish as we had no supporters there to cheer us in. With that, we vowed to take part the following year and to get our family and friends to come along and support us! No one could ever have guessed that just a few weeks later, Sarah would be diagnosed with ovarian cancer…. A hysterectomy and chemotherapy followed and in 2007 Sarah was up and running the Race for Life again, she was truly an amazing woman and her strength amazed everyone. 2008 saw the return of her cancer and within days of the diagnosis, she had again signed up to the Race for Life and was rallying people to join her….

On 31st May 2008, Sarah sadly lost her battle….but more than 35 did the Race for Life together in her memory, including her 3 daughters (the youngest then just 6, and the twins 10).


I have spent the last year and a half concentrating my time on organising fundraising events for Cancer Research UK, as my way of coping with the heartache that comes from losing a loved one. I have already registered for RFL and my husband and I are going to Shine together in Manchester on 17th April. My aim for 2010 is to continue this fundraising in the hope that one day we can finally kick cancer.


So, in short, what will make me Shine in 2010?
                   Doing my bit to kick cancer …  what will make YOU Shine in 2010?

www.sponsormetoshine.org/teamscott

No comments:

Post a Comment